Discover the new OpenKM
Written by Gaspar Palmer on 17 September 2021
The new OpenKM interface, which is already in distribution, provides a modern and updated environment to carry out the documentary operations that any company may need. The performance tests carried out before its launch has yielded unbeatable results in relation to its performance, with high volumes of load and accesses, as well as usability. All users have reacted positively to the new environment.
To all of the above, we have to add other substantial improvements that it incorporates and that are not perceptible from the outside. So, to the improved performance and modern user interface, add the following:
- Fast uploading of documents: through the channels enabled, either by dragging documents to the application or by selecting them in a grouped manner in our local file store. Highlight at this point that both actions can also be performed with folders and their content.
- Agile and effective comparison of content and metadata with the benefit that this entails avoiding duplication in the repository and therefore it is oversizing. Nor should we forget the comparison between versions of the same document, by content and metadata.
- Massive actions: they stand out for their almost ubiquitous presence and for the advantages they offer. Any action can be transferred to groups of documents and folders and even metadata, obtaining the immediate benefit of scale, generating efficiency in the handling of documents and metadata; also of records and folders.
- Improved searches: with capillary filtration to obtain restricted and useful results in them, even though huge repositories, which on the other hand are easily managed by the application.
- Extended reporting service: which allows the creation and launch of any report, according to the required variables; both manually and automatically in different formats for its best use (Word, PDF, Excel, CSV, etc.). Providing access to reports from the interface, through preview or download. They can also be automated.
- Advanced use of templates: which includes the possibility of incorporating folder and document structures for the creation of new content. Any document format is accepted, filtering access to templates even at the node level to avoid errors in the creation of content in the organization.
- Automatic data capture through zonal OCR: which allows the creation of models in the system to extract the key data, convert it into metadata and even use it to automatically catalog the information. With the possibility of extending it to the automated management of invoices, even to their accounting.
- Actions available from any view: to have a dynamic and accessible environment that allows users to perform the task that corresponds to them from any of the application environments. Without having to postpone its completion by avoiding procrastination. Wizards are also included in all views to help round off the previous goal.
- PDF management tools: allowing the management of these from the OpenKM interface itself. Facilitating the creation of new documents, also their cataloging, after deleting, cutting, duplicating, or rotating pages of PDF documents.
- File plan for file management: including classification tables and document retention. That will allow the entity the effective management of intellectual capital, showing the organization of the records from their creation to their destruction or purge, if appropriate, or their definitive conservation.
- Online editing of documents: from the OpenKM user interface, through the integration of an editor accessible by the user directly, allowing the versioning of documents in an agile and secure way, without downloads or external editions.
Nor can I fail to mention the modules that can complement everything that the application proposes by itself, among them, I want to especially highlight the following:
- EDX or Electronic Document Exchange that allows external users, in an unlimited number, to share documents with the document management system (both incorporate and receive them) and have them available for consultation.
- Automatic Invoice management: it is a web portal that simplifies the receipt of invoices by the organization, with the corresponding cataloging for their subsequent management and custody. That can be complemented with metadata extraction, indexing, cataloging, and even automatic accounting services.
- Multitenant: allows creating different sub-instances of OpenKM to separate the workspaces of our branches, using the same IT resources.
- QR code verifier: developed to verify that the documents used physically correspond to the latest version stored in the application. This will avoid deviations and misunderstandings that can lead to very high costs.
To finish, I want to mention the effort made by the entire team to respond to the continuous training requests received from users and customers. Today, the OpenKM Academy is a reality that offers basic user, advanced administrator, and consultant courses, among others.
I will finish by pointing out that the application is available, which is a multi-operating system and multi-database, installed on the server itself or from our datacenter. There is even the possibility of having the best of both through our hybrid solution, in which we provide hosting, as well as server maintenance; and we take care of the correct performance of backup copies (daily, incremental), for the peace of mind of all our clients. All this, from a dedicated server, which allows you to enjoy the application through a perpetual license, which does not penalize the number of users or the size of the repository, as in a pure cloud